...one tiny speck...

2.11.2005

Luna, Perseus, and Satisfaction

I just saw the band Luna on their farewell tour thanks to the advice of dear Mr. Catfish Vegas. It was a wonderful show. Delightful really. I went alone – because I don’t really know anyone around here and I’m secure with that kind of thing – Seattle, to a place called Neumo’s. It is a relatively small venue, but it was big enough. An intimate band in an intimate setting. At one point it felt like the audience and the band were having a conversation with one another. We thanked them for playing an earlier set and they thanked us for coming so early. You see, the original set started at 10:30 but it sold out so quickly, they decided to play a 7 o’clock show as well. I think the early show sold out too.
They also told us that they had a rough day, abandoning their transportation on the side of the road and relying on the opening act, Midnight Movie, to bring a lot of their gear. We told them we were sorry to hear it.
MM put on a great show as well. The guys on guitars and keys were kind of bland, but the female lead singer/drummer was hot stuff. She was clearly the band. I can’t imagine it’s easy to sing and wail on drums at the same time. She must have incredible breath control or something. Yoga? Meditation? Practice?
And Catfish was right about the bass player from Luna being so “absolutely gorgeous.” What he neglected to mention is that she is also in her early forties – which makes her just a little bit hotter – and that she was in the classic girl-rock film Satisfaction alongside Justine Bateman and Julia Roberts, and that she was a voice on Jem and the Holograms in the 80’s. Some guy threw her pink flowers during the show. She accepted them gracefully.
It was an interesting show for me because I didn’t know their music at all. I felt like I did, but I’m pretty certain that I’ve never heard them before.
Their was a kind of odd air about the show too, which I can only attribute to the fact that they know they don’t have too many more left, plus they were beat from a day on the road and they still had another show to do. But still, it must be strange to do something, commit to something, for over ten years and then decide to end it. I guess they consistently fill 200-300 room capacities, but they never really took off. It’s kind of a shame because they really were quite good, but I wonder if it would have felt as good in a much larger space. Probably not.
Thanks again CV.
Oh, and I went to a brew-pub right before the show called Elysian. I had the Perseus Porter and it was Medusa slayingly delicious. I’ll be going there again the next time I’m in the city.

1 Comments:

Blogger Catfish Vegas said...

Wonderfully glad my advice was followed. Luna is not to be missed. Neither should you miss Dylan and I'd definitely check the Decemberists/Okkervil River show. What a combo!

4:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home